Your health is a very major issue for your long life and ensuring better health is the key to wellbeing. There are many causes that affect your health badly and we must try our best to keep them away as much as possible. Among those factors, one of the biggest factors is lack of sleep. This problem is very common in teenagers and adults because of many issues. In the era of smartphones and social networking, lack of sleep is common among teenagers while in adults it’s mostly their studies and work pressure that take away their relaxation and comfort. Well, proper sleep is very essential to maintain long life and good health because lack of sleep can lead to many health issues which are as follows:
- It is injurious to health: lack of sleep increases the risk of developing chronic diseases because it has been reported that 90% of those who suffer from chronic health problems are insomniacs. This can be alarming for life. There are many diseases that can develop because of insufficient sleep like diabetes, stroke, heart attacks, heart failure, irregular pulse rates, and high blood pressure. In fact, insomnia is a disease in itself which must be treated as soon as possible.
- It causes depression: lack o sleep drastically enhances the symptoms of depression which are mostly very risky and threatening to life. As per the reports of 2005, people who suffered from depression have very low sleeping hours in their regular basis. It was reported that they did not sleep even for 6 hours regularly and that lead to severe depression in their life. Depression eventually leads to loss of interest in living life happily.
- Lack of sleep is harmful for skin: you must have observed that if you get insufficient sleep even for one night, you get swollen eyes and dark circles. If this habit pertains in any person, it can be very risky and it is displayed by their face. The damage becomes long lasting and even permanent in many cases. Dark circles, sallow skin, wrinkles and premature aging are some of the common symptoms of lack of sleep. It makes your skin lose the glow and becomes very dull.
- Lack of sleep makes you gain weight: if you sleep properly, your body maintains proper health and appetite. Loss of sleep increases the generation of a hormone ghrelin that is responsible for stimulation of hunger. It also suppresses appetite as it reduces the growth of leptin. This makes you gain weight in some days and it starts showing change in few days. Person suffering from lack of sleep for long time makes them obese because of overeating.
- Lack of sleep can be fatal: as per a study, a person who did not sleep for 10 consecutive days are likely to die. Well, yes sleep can be fatal because improper sleeping problems do not allow you body to rest properly and as a result you develop many risky ailments which can even risk your life.